Rhus Tree Allergy
After touching, or even going near a Rhus tree, or even going near someone who has been in touch with a Rhus tree, do you develop transient or severe inflammation of the skin, usually with redness, swelling, oozing, crusting or scaling of the lesions which are usually itchy. Does your skin form small vesicles or bubbles? Then you may have an allergy to the Rhus tree!
Do you know that allergic responses to skin irritants such as Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Sumac, Ginkgo and the Rhus Tree may take from a number of days to years after the first exposure to the time of re-exposure to precipitate the Dermatitis? All parts of the Rhus Tree are capable of sensitising the skin of indiviuals, even when the plant is dry or dead. It is a beautiful tree in autumn or fall but how do you know if you are reacting to the Rhus Tree? Are you aware that contact with other people can also bring on an allergy to the Rhus Tree?
How do you know if you are reacting to the Rhus Tree? The first clue is that the rash is generally on an exposed part of the skin.
This practical information is made available by the Allergy Centre. An Allergist can tell you if you have true Rhus tree allergy, what it is, why you have it, how you can be tested for it, what you can do about it, the best treatment, whether you should be desensitised or vaccinated, the best medication to use, the best place to seek treatment and whether you can get a cure for Rhus tree allergy.
TO PRINT this page, FIRST click anywhere on this paragraph you are now reading and THEN just press the print button on you browser.
Courtesy of The Allergy Centre 03 9874 4144
This page was last reviewed on 18th Aug 2004